An Introduction to Bingo
Enticing players since its introduction to the gambling scene in 1929, Bingo is a simple game of chance. Using numbered 5×5 cards, traditionally players skilled in listening and paying attention mark off numbers randomly drawn using a bingo dauber to make single line, or other specified formations. The end goal is to beat out other players by being the first to yell out “BINGO!”
Playing bingo online has certain advantages over heading out the bingo hall. Online casino sites that offer bingo provide free software for downloading and playing on your PC, or you may play instantly using a Java or Flash based version for playing directly from your internet browser.
Available for play 24/7, some sites will allow you to play for free so you can get a sense of how the game works and develop your own strategies. Another unique feature is “auto daub” which marks off called numbers so the player is unable to miss their digits. Unlike the traditional bingo playing method, chatting with other players is encouraged via an in-game chat box.
Strategies to Improve Your Odds
Online bingo numbers are drawn using a random number generator. Bingo is generally considered a game of pure luck, but there are techniques you can use to improve your odds:
- As with live venue bingo, the less people you are competing with the greater your odds. Although jackpots will be generally smaller when fewer people are involved, getting a smaller slice of the pie beats no pie at all;
- Purchasing many bingo cards may increase your exposure to different numbers, but it is usually best to stick to fewer cards. The rationale is that you could spend through your bankroll before getting a win;
- According to probability analyst Joseph E. Granville, 60% of the first 10 balls selected will have different last digits. When selecting your card’s numbers, it’s important to diversify and ensure that the numbers don’t repeat. For example, do not use repeated last digit numbers like 13, 23, 33, 43, and so on;
- Acquaint yourself with the online casino’s bingo rules. Winning line formations can span single vertical, diagonal, and horizontal lines, as well as “T”, “X”, square, diamond, and many other shapes and patterns;
- When possible, utilize the “auto-daub” feature. While doing your own daubing is the main entertainment and mental stimulation behind playing bingo, auto daub removes any possibility of human error which will only help your chances of winning; and
- Do some research before selecting an online casino with bingo gaming. Be sure to look for information regarding gaming fairness (do they use random number generators?), and whether the site is tested by a third party (like Technical Systems Testing). Reading up on user reviews can help determine whether the site is legitimate. It doesn’t matter if you win if you can’t collect your winnings.